Pilgrimage to Santiago on Rails
7 days / 6 nights
Starts: Madrid | Ends: Madrid
Travel When you Want With Us!
Selected Travel Plans in Spain by Train for You!
For over a thousand years, pilgrims from all European countries have followed the Way to Santiago as a demonstration of their faith.
The various routes across the northern third of the Iberian Peninsula and terminate at the tomb of Saint James (Santiago) in Santiago de Compostela. A route steeped in History and personal sacrifice, set among splendid landscapes and travelling by train for cities such as Burgos, birth and burial place of the celebrated hero El Cid, León, whose most representative monument of the city is one of the jewels of Spanish Gothic style, its Cathedral, and Santiago de Compostela, Spain´s most famous pilgrimage center, with its Cathedral as a town´s crowning glory.
When the body of the apostle Saint James (Santiago) was discovered at the beginning of the 9th century in this remote region of the then known world, no one could have imagined that the location of the discovery would become, along with Rome and Jerusalem, one of the most important pilgrim sites in the Christian world. When Jerusalem fell into hands of the “infidels” in 637 A.D., Santiago de Compostela took on even more importance for devote Christians.
This Tour Package can be extended with the inclusion of other interesting cities and towns such as Ávila, Segovia, Salamanca or Astorga. Maybe not as known as the other cities mentioned previously, but as interesting as them.
NOTE: This is a custom train & hotel package for you.
We will provide you with our section of accommodations on each city combined with the train tickets, private guided walking tours and other services upon request.
SUGGESTED ITINERARYMadrid – Burgos – León – Santiago de Compostela – Madrid
Day 1, Madrid
Arrival at Madrid Airport. Then our driver will pick you up to transfer you to the selected hotel in the center where you will stay. Rest of the day at your leisure to explore the city. We always suggest that Madrid is a city that needs time to explore and discover by yourself. You can visit the Royal Palace, enjoying a walk through the Retiro Park and visiting the Botanical Garden, shopping time in some of the best corners and shops in town, strolling around Gran Via and Plaza Mayor or attending to some performances of flamenco in a theatre. Overnight stay.
Day 2, Burgos
Breakfast. Begin your journey taking a train to Burgos, Castilian first capital and birth and burial place of the Celebrate hero El Cid. Everything in this lovely city seems to revolve around its Cathedral, one the most beautiful on the European continent, and today considered one of the most important monuments of Gothic art. A local guide will take around this and other monuments in a private visit included in your tour. Overnight stay in Burgos.
Day 3, Burgos - Leon
Breakfast. Today your journey will continue taking a train to Leon, that was in the Middle Ages one of the main staging points for pilgrims travelling to Santiago de Compostela. An official local guide will await you in the lobby of your hotel to begin a tour of the city. The most representative monument of the city and one of the jewels of Spanish Gothic style is, undoubtedly, the Cathedral. This sober Gothic structure is, according to experts, the most “French” of all the cathedrals on the Iberian Peninsula. Overnight stay in Leon.
Day 4, Leon - Santiago de Compostela
Breakfast. Today you will take a train to get to Santiago de Compostela, Spain´s most famous pilgrimage center, which cathedral is the town´s crowning glory. After Arrival and Check-in at the selected Hotel, a local guide will meet you in the lobby to take you on a tour of the city. You will be taken around the most emblematic sites before visiting the most impressive and important of all, the Cathedral, a masterpiece of Romanesque art, constructed around the sepulchre of the Apostle Santiago (James). Overnight stay.
Day 5, Santiago de Compostela
Breakfast. Day free to enjoy Santiago. You can sit in a café terrace or stroll about the city´s streets, animated by a large student presence as Santiago is also home to one of Spain´s oldest universities. Overnight stay in Santiago.
Day 6, Santiago de Compostela - Madrid
Breakfast. After two days of enjoying Santiago de Compostela, you must take the train back to Madrid. After arrival at Madrid train station and checking in at the selection Hotel, you will have the rest of the day at your leisure to rest in the city. Overnight stay.
Day 7, Madrid
Breakfast. Then, our driver will pick you up to transfer you to the Madrid Airport to embark and take your flight back home. End of the services.
- These Spain by Train programs are designed for couples, families and small groups of friends mostly.
- These programs are custom packages that include selected charming hotels in the city centers, arrival and departure private transfers, high-speed train tickets between the cities, local expert guides for private guided walking tours and taxes.
- We do not offer just train tickets, just private tours or just one-night accommodations, as those are packages with a minimum service we will consider. Feel free to contact if you have any questions.
- As experts, we will always recommend the minimum of nights you should stay in each city, once we hear from you and your interests
- You can start the day you want, and you can extend your stay as much as you want. It is important that the days we suggest you stay in each city are a good average for first-time visitors, but you can always extend your stay as you want.
- You will have a feeling of freedom during your stay, but you will have our team behind 24 hours.
- Our expert local guides will inform you specifically about what to do in each city and where to go for your leisure time. Feel comfortable an ask them any questions you might consider. They are the perfect insiders and will love to help you to find what you are looking for.
- We do hope to hear from you and your interest so we can start planning your custom package from the very beginning.
Optional hotels extensions or private guide and chauffeur services as a well as extending your stay with us connecting with other cities, renting a car to follow a suggested self-drive program or relaxing by the Mediterranean with excursions to natural areas before ending your trip is something that we will love to offer you at any time.
- Let us know if you are interested to connect with other destinations or any travel assistance you may need.
Contact Us and for a more detailed program while checking the dates and get ready for your next trip joining one of our small and friendly groups on your next adventure!
€ 1100(*) The prices are per person based on a double/twin room. All Taxes (VAT) Included
- Madrid (2 Nights),
- Burgos (1 Night),
- Leon (1 Night),
- Santiago de Compostela (2 Nights)
- (*) As experts we recommend a minimum of 6 nights.
- 6 Nights accommodation in centrally located charming hotels according to the program/ your interest
- Expert local guides for the walking tours in each city
- Admissions fees
- Daily buffet breakfast
- High Speed AVE Train tickets between the cities
- All taxes
- International flights
- Travel Insurance or any passport or visa fees
- Additional services at Hotels as laundry, Ironing services, etc.
This train packages includes a minimum of six nights from where you can start adding or not extra nights or services. All have in common the train tickets, a careful selection of charming Hotels in the historical centers and private guided tours in hands of our insider experts. You can depart any day you want. All the admissions to the main museums and monuments are included as well.
(*) Booking Conditions:
Please use our Custom Travel Form to share your travel needs with us. The more detail you provide, the closer we can come to creating the perfect trip. Once we receive your initial travel information we will respond to you within two working days with a suggested itinerary, tours and accommodations, along with a quote for the total cost. We'll continue to work with you as needed until you agree that you have the perfect trip. In most cases, at that time, we will ask for a 25% deposit by credit card or wire transfer and will begin making all reservations.Full payment is due 15 days before your arrival, either by credit card or wire transfer.
(*) Cancellation Policy:
If you cancel at least 15 days before your scheduled arrival, we will refund 40% of the deposit. If you cancel less than 15 days before your scheduled arrival we cannot refund the deposit. If you have already paid in full, we will provide a refund minus the deposit.